What To Bring With You
Because of the popularity of our VITA site, and that fact that our services are only offered once a week, it is important that you come prepared with ALL the necessary documents for us to prepare your return. Please note that our VITA site now operates on an appointment basis ONLY, therefore only clients who have an appointment and all the necessary documents will have their tax returns prepared. Failure to schedule an appointment and/or bring with you the necessary documentation will result in a delay in the preparation of your tax return or a complete rescheduling of your appointment.
Documents you MUST provide in order to have your tax return prepared:
- Government issued identification (expired identification cannot be accepted) for you and your spouse (to prepare and file your taxes on a married-filing-jointly return, BOTH spouses MUST be present, for a married-filling-separate return, the name of your spouse with their social security number is required).
- Original Social Security Cards for you, your spouse, and ALL dependents. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, or dependents if you do not have a Social Security Number.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents being listed on the tax return.
- Identity Protection PIN issued for the current tax year for you, your spouse, and/or your dependents, if you have been the victim of identity theft with the IRS. Returns filed without an issued IP PIN will be automatically rejected by the IRS.
- Wage and earnings statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099s, from ALL employers, and/or Social Security benefits statement.
- All Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements or Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if applicable.
- Interest, brokerage, and dividend statement(s) (Form 1099s).
- Form 1098-T Tuition Statement from an eligible education institution, such as a college or university or Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest Statement.
- Total amounts paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identification number (provider’s Social Security number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number.
- Any and all expenses (including business expenses) MUST be accompanied by a receipt. Expenses MUST be organized and itemized.
- Any other forms or documents necessary to complete your income tax return.
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check.
- If possible, a copy of last tax year’s federal income and state tax return(s), or copies of IRS transcripts if applicable.