Getting Settled


Banks, savings & loan associations, and credit unions offer a variety of services for checking accounts and savings accounts.

To open a bank account visit a bank and ask to open a checking account.

Banking institutions with offices close to the campus include:

  • Bank of America: Miami Lakes Drive East, Miami Lakes, FL 33014 Tel: (305) 827-9690
  • Suntrust: 15101 NW 67th Avenue, Miami Lakes, FL 33014 Tel: (305) 704-4614
  • Wells Fargo: 15615 NW 67th Avenue, Miami Lakes, FL 33014 Tel: (305) 364-2440
  • Chase: 18255 NW 57th Avenue, Miami Gardens, FL Tel: (305) 914-3821


A Social Security Number is not required to open a U.S. Bank Account.

Once you open a checking account at the bank, you can withdraw money from your account using a check or an Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) card. An ATM machine is located in the Student Center.

Cellular Phones

There are a variety of mobile phone companies that operate in Miami, Florida. Monthly contracts and pay-as-you-go services are available with most companies for students who do not have a Social Security Number.

Local Cell/Mobile Phone companies:


Locations and contact information can be found on each company’s website.

Driver’s License

Driver’s License from Home Country:

You may legally drive in Florida with an unexpired, valid license from your home country. However, once you have been in Florida for more than 30 days,you must obtain and Florida Drivers License.

You may be required to take the following tests before applying for a license:

  • Hearing
  • Vision
  • Road Signs – 20 multiple choice questions.
  • Road Rules – 20 multiple choice questions

Driving Test – You must provide a vehicle for the driving test. The vehicle must have a valid tag, proof of insurance, and pass a vehicle inspection. The Florida Driver Handbook is available at your local DHSMV office or online.

Transfer Students with a driver’s license from another state should apply for a Florida License within 30 days of moving to Florida.?If you have a license issued by another U.S. state, you may not need to retake the written or driving tests however, you may still need to take vision & hearing.?If you change residence, you should replace your license within 10 days of moving.