Institutional Review Board
Research involving human subjects, including students, faculty, or staff at St. Thomas University requires prior authorization.
For IRB consideration please submit a research application packet to include:
- A completed IRB Research Protocol Submission Form
- Up-to-date certificate of completion of the Protection of Human Subjects training for all Principal and Co-Investigators.
- Informed consent form, if applicable. Click here to download the STU informed consent template. All IRB applications should use this informed consent template, if applicable.
- All instruments used in the study (surveys, interview, focus group, etc. protocols with the final questions).
- Chapter 1, if the application is submitted in support of a dissertation or thesis. If the application is a research proposal, please submit the full research proposal. A complete research proposal should include a thorough literature review with applicable references, a statement of research questions and hypotheses, and a detailed methodology.
- Please note that IRB application packets will be considered only if submitted by the Dissertation Chairs.
- Once these documents are complete, please attach all of them to an email and send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review Schedule for IRB Applications
Incomplete applications or research applications submitted after the deadline will be considered during the next scheduled review cycle.
|Research Application Deadline||Notification to Research Applicants|
|July 29, 2019||August 26, 2019|
|August 26, 2019||September 23, 2019|
|September 23, 2019||October 21, 2019|
|October 21, 2019||November 18, 2019|
|November 18, 2019||December 16, 2019|
|December 16, 2019||January 13, 2020|
|January 13, 2020||February 10, 2020|
|February 10, 2020||March 9, 2020|
|March 9, 2020||April 6, 2020|
|April 6, 2020||May 4, 2020|
|May 4, 2020||June 1, 2020|
|June 1, 2020||June 29, 2020|
|June 29, 2020||July 27, 2020|
|July 27, 2020||August 24, 2020|
Changes to Research Applications
The Federal government requires that any changes to previously approved research applications need to be approved by the IRB prior to implementation. Please contact the Chair at email@example.com prior to submitting a change of research request.
STU Institutional Review Board (IRB)
STU IRB Roster
Human Subjects Research Training
All principal investigators, co-principal investigators, and student investigators must complete the “Protecting Human Research Participants” training provided by the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative(CITI)prior to conducting research at St. Thomas University. This training is free of charge for anyone affiliated with STU and can be accessed at the following URL: https://about.citiprogram.org/en/series/human-subjects-research-hsr/. Select St. Thomas University – Biscayne.
Dr. Diana Barbu
Associate Vice Provost of Institutional Research and Effectiveness
Chair of the Institutional Review Board