Director, LL.M. Program in Cybersecurity Law & Policy
Law Library Director
J.D., St. Thomas University School of Law
M.L.S., University of South Florida
LL.M., St. Thomas University School of Law, cum laude
LL.M., McGill University Institute of Air and Space Law
J.S.D., St. Thomas University School of Law, cum laude
Roy Balleste is Professor of Law, Law Library Director, and Director of the LL.M. in Cybersecurity Law & Policy Program. Professor Balleste completed his doctorate degree (J.S.D.) in Intercultural Human Rights, analyzing internet governance policy, including its history, actors, and institutions. While completing the LL.M. thesis at the Institute of Air and Space Law, McGill University, Balleste researched and wrote about the crossroads of cybersecurity, rules of engagement, and space law. He was the 2017 recipient of the Nicolas Mateesco Matte Prize. Professor Balleste teaches internet governance law and policy and cybersecurity law and policy. He has concentrated his scholarship and advocacy in the areas associated with the regulatory structure of the Internet, cybersecurity, outer space law, and cybersecurity in outer space.
Professor Balleste is a member of the drafting committee for the Manual on International Law Applicable to Military Uses of Outer Space. Balleste is a member of the International Institute of Space Law (IISL), including its Cyberspace Law Working Group. In November of 2017, Balleste participated at the United Nations High-level Forum on Space as a driver for socio-economic sustainable development. In his presentation, Balleste addressed the connection of cybersecurity and satellite communications. In particular, he commented on the perils associated with the utilization of cyberspace as a weapon.
Professor Balleste also participated in the United Nations Internet Governance Forum (UN IGF) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 2007 and Vilnius, Lithuania 2010. In October of 2012, Balleste participated—at the invitation of the U.S. Air Force Research Institute—in the second cyberpower conference at the Maxwell’s Officer Training School. Professor Balleste is a member of the Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet). Balleste served one tour in the US. Navy and one tour in the U.S. Army.
- Certificate in Cybersecurity: The Intersection of Policy and Technology, Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education
- Certificate in Managing Cybersecurity Risk, Harvard University Extension School
- Certificate in Blockchain Strategy, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford
- International Institute of Space Law
- Military Cyber Professionals Association
- American Association of Airport Executives
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- The Planetary Society
- For All Moonkind
- Global Internet Academic Network
- ICANN Noncommercial Users Stakeholder Group (ICANN-NCSG), Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO)
- Roy Balleste, Joanna Kulesza, Cybersecurity: Human Rights in the Age of Cyberveillance, (December 2015, Rowman & Littlefield).
- Roy Balleste, Internet Governance: Origins, Current Issues, and Future Possibilities, (March 2015, Rowman & Littlefield).
- Roy Balleste, Sonia Luna-Lamas, and Lisa Smith-Butler, Law Librarianship in the Twenty-First Century, (2nd ed., 2013, Scarecrow Press).
- Roy Balleste, Sonia Luna-Lamas, and Lisa Smith-Butler, Law Librarianship in the Twenty-First Century (2007, Scarecrow Press).
- Roy Balleste, A Hypothetical Case Study: Creating AI Assistants in the Law Library, 26 Legal Ref. Serv. Q. 47 (2007), Reprinted in Public Services in Law Libraries: Evolution and Innovation in the 21st Century (Barbara Bintliff & Lee F. Peoples, eds., Haworth Information Press, 2007).
- Roy Balleste, Nature’s Law and the Nature of Cosmos: Ancient Human Stories about Perennial Moral Concerns, __ Intercultural Hum. Rts. L. Rev. __ (2019 forthcoming).
- Roy Balleste Reconsidering Rules of Engagement in Outer Space, __ Proc. on L. Outer Space __ (2018) (IAC-18.E7.5.15×44043, forthcoming, presented at the 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Bremen, Germany, 1-5 October 2018).
- Roy Balleste, Humaid Alshamsi, and Michelle L.D. Hanlon, As the Grapefruit Turns Sixty, It’s Time to Get Serious About Clean Up in Outer Space, 83 J. Air L. & Com. 45 (2018).
- Roy Balleste, Humaid Alshamsi, and Michelle L.D. Hanlon, Space Station Asgardia 2117: From Theoretical Science to a New Nation in Outer Space, 16 Santa Clara J. Int’l L. 37 (2018).
- Roy Balleste, Worlds Apart: The Legal Challenge of Suborbital Flights in Outer Space, 49 N.Y.U. Int’l L. & Pol.1033 (Summer 2017).
- Roy Balleste and Michelle L.D. Hanlon, Preserving Apollo’s Lunar Legacy, 12 Room: The Space Journal 90, Aerospace International Research Center GMBH (Summer 2017).
- Roy Balleste, War in the Expanse: The Metaphysics of Cyberspace, 15 Canadian J. of L. & Technology 1 (June/July 2017).
- Roy Balleste, Interstellar Travel and the Mission for Outer Space: A Human Rights Perspective, 18 SMU Sci. & Tech. L. Rev. 219 (Fall 2015).
- Roy Balleste & Joanna Kulesza, Signs and Portents in Cyberspace: The Rise of Jus Internet as a New Order in International Law, 23 Fordham Intell. Prop. Media & Ent. L.J. 1311 (2013). HeinOnline
- Roy Balleste, Rising Toward Apotheosis: The Deconstruction of the WSIS Tunis Agenda for the Information Society, 12 Pitt. J. Tech. L. & Pol’y 153 (2012). HeinOnline
- Roy Balleste, Persuasions and Exhortations: Acknowledging Internet Governance and Human Dignity for All, 38 Syracuse J. Int’l L. & Com. 227 (2011). HeinOnline
- Roy Balleste, The Earth Alliance Constitution: International Human Rights Law and Babylon 5, 10 Fla. Coastal L. Rev. 33 (2008). HeinOnline
- Roy Balleste, The Internet Governance Forum & Technology: A Matter of Human Development, 7 Loy. L. & Tech. Ann. 37 (2007). HeinOnline
- Roy Balleste, The International Status of Jerusalem: The Legacy of Lasting Peace, 43 Rev. Der. P.R. 249 (2004). HeinOnline
- Roy Balleste, Where We’re Going: Leviathan or Golem?, CIRCLEID, Dec 9, 2014 http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141209_where_were_going_leviathan_or_golem/.
- Roy Balleste, Inter Mundos: ICANN’s Accountability is a Matter of Human Rights, CIRCLEID, Jul 10, 2014 http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140710_inter_mundos_icanns_accountability_is_a_matter_of_human_rights/.
- Roy Balleste, Paths of Glory: Privacy Still Matters, CIRCLEID, Jul 29, 2013 http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130729_paths_of_glory_privacy_still_matters/.
- Roy Balleste, Privacy and the Future: Are We Good Trustees of the Internet?, CIRCLEID, Sep 20, 2013 http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130920_privacy_and_the_future_are_we_good_trustees_of_the_internet/.
- Roy Balleste, A Primer on Internet Governance – A New Field of Study Emerges in the Digital Age, AALL Spectrum, Vol. 15 No. 5, March 2011, at 8.
- Roy Balleste, Jason Rosenberg & Lisa Smith-Butler, Podcasting, Vodcasting, and Law Libraries: How to Understand the Newest “It” Technology and Use It in Your Library, AALL Spectrum, Vol. 10 No. 8, June 2006, at 8.
- Roy Balleste, Blogs in Law Libraries, AALL Spectrum, No. 7, May 2004, at 2.
- Roy Balleste & Gordon Russell, Implementing Virtual Reference: Hollywood Technology in Real Life, Computers in Libraries, No. 4, April 2003, at 14.
- Roy Balleste, The Future of Artificial Intelligence in Your Virtual Libraries, Computers in Libraries, No. 9, October 2002, at 10.
- Roy Balleste, Virtual Personalities Breathe New Life Into Libraries, AALL Spectrum, No. 10, July 2002, at 22.
- Roy Balleste, Could You Translate This Site for Me? Rating the Usefulness of Translation Software Programs for Law Library Websites, AALL Spectrum, No. 10, July 2001, at 4.
Internet Governance Law and Policy
Cybersecurity Law and Policy